Tuesday, October 8, 2013

t-shirt hunt

I just got hired recently. Naturally, my new employer would require me to get a police clearance certificate. There really wasn't urgency in it, but since I was going out that day, I might as well get one. Sayang ang gas (I'd save gas if I run two errands in one run), I thought.

It was particularly hot that day, so I did what any smart person would do - dress minimally. I was sporting the standard fare sando, walking shorts and flipflops, (you'll barely see me in anything else). So off I went, to ask another favor from the government, which I am never fond of. Like most people, I hate dealing with them, but that's another story.

So I was at the police station now, after dodging more "people in authority", LTO, MMDA, and the likes, who gets paid with the taxes I pay, (I was on my scooter - no license, registration, side mirrors and helmet - which, the reason behind why I don't like to comply, again, is another story).

"Punta ka munisipyo, kuha ka ng OR", (proceed to the town hall, get an OR).

Great. So I went there. Standard procedure - fill up form, stand in line, talk to grouchy government employees, pay 100 pesos, then run back to the police station, which, by the way, was pretty far if you took a walk, but fairly near if you had a vehicle, which wasn't much of a relief because the traffic there is always terrible. And I was back. Only to find out that I had to pay another 100 pesos.

This should go smoothly now, I thought. Then this happened:

"Sir, may baon ba kayong t-shirt", (Sir, did you bring a t-shirt)?
"Wala e", (No, i don't).
"Kelangan po kasi naka t-shirt" (You need to wear one).
"What's the rationale behind that rule"?
"Sabi po kasi ni Hepe samin" (The Chief requires it).

Frontliners, blind obedience, just following orders. It would be futile to reason with these people. They were looking at me with faces that read, tsk, reklamador.

"Uwi ka muna, palit ka ng T-shirt", (Go home, change into a t-shirt).
"Sandali, mag ukay lang ako", (I'll just buy one at a thrift store), with a tone suggesting that this is going to cause huge inconvenience just to fulfill a rule that doesn't seem to be based on strong reasons. I had to endure not washing the shirt before wearing it but I was too lazy and currently displeased with the situation to go home and get a t-shirt.

I rushed to one of the ukay ukays, not really minding what I'd buy, the only considerations were it must be really cheap, and it was a t-shirt. My expectations were exceeded. For a mere 30 pesos, this is a pretty awesome shirt.

the kind of cotton that hugs you. plus the bear. a screaming bear wearing a hat and a cardigan. how cool is that?
This made me somehow forget how sucky my day going. Overall, this was a good day. When I got back to the police station, I have calmed down, still admiring my purchase. This is a cool shirt, I kept repeating to myself. So I proceeded with getting my police clearance, filled up a form again, submitted my thumb mark, then took a picture. Here's the result:

police clearance picture
Yes. You might notice that my shirt was BARELY shown. Therefore, if they tilted the camera upwards, even just the slightest, nobody would be able to tell if I was wearing a sando. Heck, I could've been topless, and it wouldn't have mattered. And even if it can be seen that I'm wearing a sando, so what?? The purpose of getting a police clearance was to assure my employer that I haven't committed a felony. So, this certificate will still serve its purpose whatever I wear.

I didn't really care that much after. Thanks for making me feel better, bear t-shirt.

But after encountering these people, I think it's time for another great flood.



3 comments:

  1. Hi. I just read your blog posts and I'm fascinated on how you knit your thoughts together and make fun, honest, and hilarious stories out of it. I hope you write some more. Without a doubt you do have
    talent. I think it'll be fun if we can be friends. Haha I like it when your weird and makes sense. -gemini reader

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Wow, its been forever since I visited this silly blog. Thanks for the high praise. I have a youtube channel now, perhaps you'd like to take a peek :) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsZ-S42Y4LKbnUke0xC34GA

    ReplyDelete